Saturday, January 28, 2012

Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow: Rosewood, Antique Rose, Midnight Brown

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow Box and Pouch

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Burberry Sheer Eye Shadow Compact

One of my favorite Youtubers is Tanya Burr of pixi2woo, because she is talented, knowlegeable, articulate, and adorably charming. Plus I love her English accent. She recently did a tutorial using Burberry's Midnight Brown eyeshadow. I was so taken with it that I felt an urgent need to get it for myself. It was a very naughty splurge, I know. I figured that I might as well get a few shades while I was at it, so I ended up ordering Rosewood (No. 9), Antique Rose (No. 10), and Midnight Brown (No. 21).

Rosewood is a lovely mauve-taupe shade in a satin finish. Antique Rose is in the same color family as Rosewood, but with much stronger mauve pink tones. It comes across matte, although very subtle frost is visible in the pan. Lastly, Midnight Brown is a gorgeous brown. I'm not even sure how to describe it because I feel that it has the complexity to look different depending on the light and the degree of blending. In the pan, it is a sort of silvery brown with chunky shimmer particles, although I don't find that these come across in wear. I feel that its finish is more satin than it is shimmery.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R: Rosewood, Antique Rose, Midnight Brown

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R: Rosewood, Antique Rose, Midnight Brown (natural light)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Rosewood (No. 9)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Antique Rose (No. 10)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Midnight Brown (No. 21)

Rosewood and Antique Rose don't make the best impression upon swatching as I find that they come off sheer and powdery. However, the same is not true in actual wear. I have not yet tried Antique Rose, but Rosewood applied easily with great blendability and no fall out. Midnight Brown is excellent both in swatching and true application. I wore Midnight Brown on its own and hopefully you can see the beauty of this shade in my photographs. Even though I wore it alone, it did not look like a flat color on the lid. It still yielded depth and dimension because of the way it blends out and catches the light. If you watch Tanya's video (linked above), you might be able to see even better the variations in the color. It looks quite rosy where she blends it out, and I feel that the brown can alternate between looking cool and warm. It's really very beautiful and versatile. These shadows wore throughout the day with minimal (if any) fading (over Lorac's Behind the Scenes Eye Primer).

Lastly, I have to point out the elegance of the packaging. I would expect this from a high-end brand, and Burberry does not disappoint. My photographs will do better justice to the packaging than I can in words.

These go for $29 per eye shadow (2.5 grams). By comparison, MAC's eyeshadows are priced at $15 for 1.5 grams. If you were to scale up, MAC's eyeshadows at 2.5 grams would be worth $25, so I feel that the Burberry's shadows are quite fairly priced. I don't have any regrets about Rosewood or Midnight Brown, as these colors are right up my alley. I have a definite affinity for rose-toned neutrals and browns. I can't speak for Antique Rose as I have yet to try it. I think Rosewood is quite dupe-able so it is not a must-have by any means, but Midnight Brown seems like a good one to invest in if you're looking for a luxury product. It is not only a beautiful color, but it also offers versatility due to its complexity.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Midnight Brown across lids

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Midnight Brown across lids

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Rosewood across lids, Smashbox ASAP on outer corner

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Rosewood across lids, Smashbox ASAP on outer corner

UPDATE 2/10:

I tried Antique Rose and decided to return it. The eyeshadow itself was fine but the color was not for me. I found the purple tones to be quite strong.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Antique Rose across lids with brown on outer corner
(Sorry, I can't remember the outer corner color. Perhaps MAC Mulch?)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Antique Rose across lids with brown on outer corner
(Sorry, I can't remember the outer corner color. Perhaps MAC Mulch?)

No comments:

Post a Comment