Saturday, August 27, 2011

Stila Collectible Beach Palette: Stunning in Sayulita

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Stila Collectible Beach Palette No. 1 Stunning in Sayulita

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Stila Collectible Beach Palette No. 1 Stunning in Sayulita

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R Cheek Colors: Banderas Bay, Playa
Eyeshadows clockwise from top left: Getaway, Starfish, Sandbar, Palm Trees

I found this Stila palette on sale at Urban Outfitters for $4.99. How could I resist? I've collected quite a few of the other palettes that came in similar form, although those came with convertible colors instead of pressed blush and highlighter. Those were $10 each, while these newer palettes are $14 regular price.

I feel that the quality of this palette is superior to the $10 ones that I have. The eyeshadows are smoother and feel less dry. The pigmentation is nice as well. They are, however, quite powdery. One odd thing I noticed as I was swatching these was that a lump of powder would move around under my finger instead of dispersing as I rubbed it in. It's hard to explain. However, I did not have any problems when applying these to my eyes so I guess it's not too important.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Banderas Bay, Starfish, Getaway, Sandbar, Palm Trees, Playa

Starfish is a light peach with shimmer. Getaway is probably my favorite color because it's more complex than it appears. It's a light violet shade that also has strong mauvey-pink tones so I think that its appearance will change depending on what shades you pair it with. It looks quite pink in my swatches. To my naked eye, it is definitely lilac, especially when paired with Sandbar, which is a deep plum. Sandbar looks rather brown in my pictures, so this might be another interesting shade that changes depending on how you wear it. With purple-toned colors, its plum hues dominate but it might appear more brown when paired with neutral shades. I'm interested to test that out. Lastly, Palm Trees is a mossy green color. I don't feel that it fits in with the other colors in this palette, and it's not a color that I personally feel comfortable wearing. However, I do feel that it's a more wearable green because it's sort of olive-colored.

The blush, Playa, is a warm medium pink with a matte finish. It is quite pigmented but beware that it also gets powdery when you run your brush over it. Banderas Bay is the highlighter, a light, shimmery pinky-beige. I tried it on but didn't find it to be of any use. I did not notice it leaving any shimmer on my cheekbones.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Top down: Getaway, Starfish, Banderas Bay

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Top down: Playa, Palm Trees, Sandbar

In summary, this is a nice palette with a richly-pigmented blush and smooth, buttery eyeshadows that have decent color payoff. The highlighter, however, is a dud. The colors aren't must-haves by any means. They're not quite neutral because they they carry purples and greens, but they're not quite colorful enough to excite color-lovers. Still, for $4.99, this is a great deal! If you can find it at Urban Outfitters for this price, then I definitely recommend it. The full-price is not bad at all considering what you get. However, these colors don't appeal enough to me that I would pay $14 for them. That, of course, is a matter of personal preference.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Starfish in inner corner, Getaway across lids, Sandbar on outer corner
(the look as a whole appears more purple in real life)

No comments:

Post a Comment