Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MUA Eye Shadow: Shades 11, 12, 14, 20

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Clockwise from top: Shade 11, Shade 12, Shade 20, Shade 14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Top: Shade 11, Shade 12
Bottom: Shade 14, Shade 20

I can't tell you how happy I am that I bought these MUA (Makeup Academy) eyeshadows when I stopped by London. I only recall hearing about this brand once but that was enough for me to pay attention. I was basically trying to get everything that seemed worthwhile that I am not able to get from home.

MUA eyeshadows sell for £1 each, which comes out to $1.65 per eyeshadow (2g). That is ridiculously cheap and the quality is amazing. I've only worn the brown one (of course) but I was happy with the way the others swatched.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Shade 11, Shade 12, Shade 14, Shade 20

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Shade 11, Shade 12, Shade 14, Shade 20

Shade 11 is a brown-taupe with a pearl finish. It looks neutral, maybe even a little cool, in the pot but I find that there are reddish tones to it that I see when I blend it out on my lid. The texture of the eyeshadow is sort of flaky when you press your brush into it. It reminds me of the Body Shop eyeshadows in that the formula seems almost as if it's a pressed pigment. However, it does not get crumbly and it applies beautifully, very smooth and blendable. I am beyond happy with this color.

Shade 12 is a duochrome that I can see people going crazy over. It's one of those interesting, complex colors, a red-brown with strong green flash in the pearl finish. It looks a lot like Too Faced's Glampire when applied sheer. They'd probably pair together very well. I'd say that Shade 14 is a darkened teal, an interesting mix of deep blues and greens. I think the color is beautiful even though it's not one that I know how to wear. It is a pearl finish. Lastly, Shade 20 is a matte black. Like the others, it is buttery smooth and pigmented. It's not the most intense black on first swipe but I'm sure the color can be built.

I actually bought two more as gifts. I gave one away already so I don't know the shade # but it was a deep purple. The other is Shade 9, which looks like a bright purple/blue duochrome. Not a color I would personally wear but even I can appreciate how amazing it looks. I'll take a picture of it.

If it isn't already clear from the rest of my review, I highly, highly recommend these eyeshadows! Amazing quality for an astoundingly low price! I am sad that I don't have the chance to get more. You should definitely get these if you can.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Morning: Shade 11 as main color across lids

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
After 10 hours: Shade 11 as main color across lids

2 comments:

  1. I've seen MUA before but never though to consider them as it looked really cheap and I didn't think the quality would be great until my friend bought one and I used one of her palettes. They really impressed me and since then I've been hearing loads about them. Think I may go and buy something! The eyeshadow looks lovely on you! I take it you're from the US? Hope you had a lovely time in London!

    http://teacherteacherandlife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete