Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kiko Eyeshadow: 124 (Satin Taupe Dupe), 125

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kiko Eye Shadow: #124, #125

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kiko Eye Shadow: #124, #125

Here are some more makeup items that I was fortunate to get my hands on while traversing Europe. I stumbled upon the Kiko store in Barcelona. I had never heard of this brand before but I couldn't resist the temptation of a stand-alone cosmetics shop. My eyes first landed on the nail polishes, which were extensive in their color selection and cheap to boot! They were 2.50 euro each. I naturally wandered over to their eye section next where the prices were a little less thrilling, though not bad by any means. I made a conscious effort to be selective and walked away with these two shadows in #124 and #125.

#124 picks up rather pink on my camera but to my naked eye, it looks like a cool-ish brown taupe. #125 is in the same vein but deeper and more cool-toned with stronger gray cast. I did not realize it at the time but #124 is very similar to MAC's beloved Satin Taupe. I've done a comparison. To my naked eye, Satin Taupe is warmer and more brown than #124. When swatched, the colors are nearly identical though Satin Taupe is more shimmery and a touch deeper. Its formula is also smoother.

These were 4.90 euro, which comes out to about $7.50 for 3g of product (twice the amount of MAC's eyeshadows). Not a bad deal! When it comes to the formula, however, MAC certainly outperforms Kiko. Kiko's shadows are not bad but they are a bit dry and harder to blend (you can probably tell in my pictures of the colors on my lids). The pigmentation is fine but not exceptional. They do fade with wear. I have tried less expensive shadows that I believe perform better. I have to say, however, that Kiko offers the advantage of a wide color selection. You are less likely to get that with cheaper drugstore brands.

In summary, Kiko's eyeshadows are okay in their performance but they do have a nice color range that includes some highly sought after shades for a good price. If you don't mind working a little harder to apply the shadows, then these may be worth looking into.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kiko Eye Shadow: #124, #125

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Kiko Eye Shadow: #124, #125 vs. MAC Satin Taupe

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
MAC Satin Taupe, Kiko #124, Kiko #125

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Morning: #124 across lid, #125 on outer corner

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
After 9 hours: #124 across lid, #125 on outer corner

No comments:

Post a Comment