Thursday, April 4, 2013

Physicians Formula Matte Collection Quad Eye Shadow: Canyon Classics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Physicians Formula Canyon Classics Palette

I spotted this Physicians Formula palette at CVS and decided I to go for it since I had a $5 Beauty Reward credit to burn. Besides, it looked like it might include potential substitutes for my beloved Body Shop eyeshadow in Taupe, which continues to dwindle down (and might sadly be discontinued).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Clockwise from upper left: Shade 1, Shade 2, Shade 3, Shade 4

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Shade 1, Shade 2, Shade 3, Shade 4

This quad includes all matte shadows. Going clockwise from the upper left corner, I'm going to refer to them as Shades 1-4. Shade 1 is a light nude-tan that is just a touch darker than my skin. Shade 2 is a cream shade that looks rather white against my coloring. It is the most pigmented shadow in this palette. Shade 3 is a taupe that looks very similar to Shade 1 but it's slightly darker and grayer. Finally, Shade 4 is a light-to-medium gray with purple tones.

I'm pretty fair and these shadows swatch rather lightly against my skin. I don't want to say that it's due to lack of pigmentation. I think that it's because these are matte shadows, which have a tendency to be a bit chalky and you know how chalky powder has sort of a lightening effect? I'm not sure how to explain it better. Anyway, I like that the shadows in this palette are neutral, easy-to-wear shades that are good for everyday use. I applied them over Buxom's cream shadow in Mutt, which maintains its creamy consistency so these shadows had something to cling onto. I don't know how these apply over bare skin but I did find them to be a little powdery when I swatched them on my hand so you may want to be careful of fall out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L-R: Shade 1, Shade 3, Body Shop Taupe

As for how the taupe shades in this palette compare to The Body Shop's Taupe shadow, you may see in my photo that they're all very similar in color but The Body Shop's Taupe is satiny while the Physicians Formula shades are purely matte. The Body Shop's Taupe is also more pigmented and smooth.

All in all, I'd say that this palette is a good drugstore option if you're looking for a neutral palette that'll lightly contour and accentuate the eyes. Because the shadows are light, I feel that it'd be hard to overdo the colors, which is especially great for professional looks where heavy makeup it might be inappropriate. I found this for $7.49 at CVS, which I feel is fairly priced. You may find it even cheaper online (I see it for $4.75 on drugstore.com).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Buxon Mutt as cream base with Shade 3 over outer half of lid and Shade 4 blended up from lashline

No comments:

Post a Comment