Sunday, April 7, 2013

L'oreal Infallible Eye Shadow: Bottomless Java, Liquid Diamond, Gleaming Bronze, Tender Caramel

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
L'oreal Infallible Eye Shadows

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Clockwise from far left: Bottomless Java, Liquid Diamond, Gleaming Bronze, Tender Caramel

Because I like to try new drugstore makeup, I've been picking up the newer shades of the L'oreal Infallible Eye Shadows as they've been released. I also have an awesome cousin who helped me to hunt down the Canadian shade, Tender Caramel, which apparently required visits to several drugstores.

I reviewed the original L'oreal Infallible Eye Shadows here so I won't go so much into the wear or packaging of the products in this post. All of these newer shades are shimmery, smooth, and pigmented. I mentioned in my original review that I found one of them to be sticky and harder to blend but I don't find this to be a problem anymore (with that particular shade, Bronzed Taupe, or any of these new ones). Perhaps my technique has changed since then but I no longer feel that these shadows require any extra work.

Bottomless Java is a deep chocolate brown. Liquid Diamond is a silvery lilac. Gleaming Bronze is a greenish antique gold without a hint of bronze that I can see. Lastly, Tender Caramel is a light taupe that I thought would be a great, easy-to-wear neutral shade. Swatched on my hand, it appears to have the warmer pink-mauve tones that I love. However, it goes on quite cool-toned and gray on my lids. The same goes for Bottomless Java, which looks like a warm brown to me until it goes on my lids. I originally paired Bottomless Java with Tender Caramel so I thought that perhaps the cool taupe shade of Tender Caramel may have made Bottomless Java lean cool too. However, I tested my theory by next pairing Bottomless Java with Amber Rush (one of the original shades reviewed), which is definitely a warm peachy shade, and I again found Bottomless Java to look more like a charcoal brown. I don't think it comes across in my pictures, which are affected by lighting conditions, but it's how it appeared to my naked eyes.

As I said in my original review, these are good drugstore shadows. However, I find the coloring to be a bit misleading. They may look neutral or even warm in the pan but end up looking cool in wear. I don't know how this happens but you may want to be mindful of this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Bottomless Java, Liquid Diamond, Gleaming Bronze, Tender Caramel

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tender Caramel across lids, Bottomless Java blended up from lashline

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Amber Rush across inner half, The Body Shop's Taupe on outer half, Bottomless Java blended up from lashline

No comments:

Post a Comment