Thursday, July 14, 2011

Philosophy: Hope in a Jar

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

Here is another product that I managed to use up, and I liked it enough to repurchase it. Philosophy's Hope in a Jar is a moisturizer that is supposed to be suitable for all skin types. I personally have combination skin. I get dry and sometimes flaky in the cheeks and around my mouth and chin, but I get oily in the T-zone. Because of my problem with oil in the T-zone, I used a very light, oil-free moisturizer for years. I broke that routine with Hope in a Jar. I didn't realize it until just now, but Hope in a Jar is actually 99.9% oil-free as well. In the jar, however, it is a rather thick, heavy cream. When I first tried Hope in a Jar, I was blown away. I felt that it helped to moisturize my skin so much better than the lotion that I was using before, yet it didn't leave my skin feeling sticky or oily, which was such a huge plus for me. My skin felt noticeably softer and smoother. I was definitely impressed.

Though I still believe that this is a great product, my fascination has since waned. I took Hope in a Jar along with me to Europe, where my skin went rather crazy. I got extremely dry with terribly flaky skin on my cheeks, nose, and chin. My eyelids got swollen in the inner corners. I'm not sure what was going on. Maybe my body had a hard time adjusting to the sudden change in environment. Whatever the case, Hope in a Jar could not save me. I'm not sure if anything could have, but this experience definitely knocked down my adoration for what I once considered a miracle cream. It wasn't moisturizing enough to cure my dry skin. In addition, it actually burned a bit when I applied it to my sensitive skin, especially in the eye area. I know that this was an extreme case, but I would be wary of using this if you have very dry, sensitive skin.

There are a few other cons to be aware of. Firstly, there is a definite scent that I can easily see some finding unbearable. I'm not sure how to describe it but it isn't pleasant. I guess it smells synthetic. I can put up with it, and it doesn't bother me after I blend it into my skin. However, my boyfriend has complained that he can't stand the smell of my skin, even long after initial application. Secondly, the product can dry out. I notice this especially on the lid. The product that gets stuck to the lid dries out and becomes tackier so that it does not feel nice to use. I'm sure most won't have this problem but since I did take this along while traveling, my jar did get jostled around so that a lot of product ended up on the lid. Consequently, I don't think this product is good for traveling.

In summary, I do believe that Hope in a Jar is an excellent moisturizer that deserves a try. If possible, you should first sample it in store to see if you can stand the smell, since this will probably be the biggest deterrent for most. If you're interested in sampling the Hope line of products, there is a great value set available on Ulta for $40. It includes a 2 oz jar of Hope in a Jar, which alone retails for $38. That itself is enough to make the set worth the buy. It also includes Eye Hope, which I've reviewed here, and Hope in a Tinted Moisturizer, which is a product I love and will be reviewing soon. Excellent deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment