Saturday, July 5, 2014

Milani Gel Powder Eyeshadow: Bella Sand 02

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Milani Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Sand

Because I have accumulated such an overwhelming abundance of products, I don't usually get as excited about makeup anymore, especially not high end stuff that I know will likely go unused given my track record. Still, I follow Nouveau Cheap's blog (it's great) quite avidly because good, affordable drugstore finds are justifiable little splurges. Every once in a while, a new product release will reignite that familiar urge and desire in me to hunt and track it down. It feels like hitting the jackpot whenever I do.

The new Gel Powder Eyeshadows by Milani tickled my fancy as soon as I saw them on Nouveau Cheap. For one, the colors looked beautiful and appeared to swatch like a dream. Secondly, I was captivated by this novel concept of a gel powder eyeshadow. What could that mean? Would they be creamy? I needed to know.

I stumbled upon the stand last weekend at my local CVS. At first impression, I was slightly underwhelmed. I think it's because the shadows looked like regular powders and the colors weren't quite as remarkable in person. None of the neutral shades looked unique. Even so, I wanted to feel the texture for myself so I went home with just one to try.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Milani Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Sand

I decided upon Bella Sand, a warm shimmery nude with golden sheen. It's a nice enough shade but nothing to write home about.

As for the texture, it's... just your basic powder shadow. I don't know how the "gel" factors into this at all. It is neither creamy or buttery. In fact, I find it to be a bit dry. It does swatch decently but it's that dry sort of formulation that does not pick up well onto brushes so it's highly disappointing in wear. The only way I salvaged it was by applying it wet with MAC Fix Plus sprayed onto my brush. When applied wet, the shadow's shine and pigmentation are great, and it's long wearing. What shadow wouldn't be though?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Swatches (L-R): swatched with finger; applied with dry brush; applied with wet brush (MAC Fix Plus)

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing anymore of these shadows. The formula is unimpressive, and the shades are not unique. I do, however, have to give this range credit for having a wide variety of colors and for its reasonable price point (I found them for $4.59). These might be nice for someone who does not have a large makeup collection and is looking for affordable options. If you happen upon a shade that calls out to you, then I see no harm in trying it out so long as you're aware that these are best applied either wet or perhaps over a sticky base to help grab the product and accentuate the color.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Bella Sand as main lid color, blended with deeper shades at outer corners and in crease

No comments:

Post a Comment