Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Maybelline Color Tattoo Leather Collection 2014: Creamy Beige (MAC Groundwork Dupe)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige, MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- I love me some cream eyeshadows. I love the texture, the fact that I can apply them with my fingers, the way they set, that they can act as eyeshadow bases... it's all wonderful. Maybelline's Color Tattoos are reliably impressive and hold up to high end products. In fact, I think they're better than some high end cream shadows (I prefer them over Makeup Forever's Aqua Creams). I get excited whenever they release new collections, and the latest Leather Collection is a beautiful array of both classic and unconventional neutrals.

I naturally gravitated toward the classic brown neutral in Creamy Beige, which is a lovely warm medium brown satin with mauve undertones. It immediately reminded me of my favorite MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork, which I think is the perfect no-fuss eye color. Lo-and-behold- they are essentially identical!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige, MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige, MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork

Color-wise, Creamy Beige might be just a smidge deeper and leans more brown than Groundwork, which has a stronger mauve cast. Just barely though. Swatched side by side, they're hard to tell apart. When it comes to texture, however, there is a clear difference between the two. Creamy Beige is a thicker, tackier formula than Groundwork, which is more emollient. Nevertheless, both are equally easy to apply and blend as Creamy Beige becomes more emollient as it warms on the skin. As for longevity, you can see in my picture below of the swatches after several hours and multiple handwashes that these hold incredibly well. The same is true in actual wear on the eyes.

I highly recommend both products but especially Maybelline's Creamy Beige ($6.99 for 4g) if you can find it, as it is almost a third the price of Groundwork ($20 for 5g)! I believe the Leathers collection will be permanent so you'll likely be able to get Creamy Beige at a discount during one of the frequent drugstore sales.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige, MAC Paint Pot in Groundwork

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Maybelline's Creamy Beige and MAC's Groundwork after several hours and handwashes


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Creamy Beige on left, Groundwork on right

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Final look with Creamy Beige on left, Groundwork on right

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review. I was looking for a comparison of these exact two products. Just wanted to show appreciation for what you do =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking for this exact comparison as well...thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!!! Saved me some $$.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just put groundwork on my Christmas list now will put colour tattoo thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted MAC Groundwork after seeing it on a popular YouTuber. I'm already a fan of the Color Tattoos so I looked for a comparison and found yours. THANK YOU! I picked up Creamy Beige today with a $2 coupon - steal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own creamy beige and I just bought groundwork tonight. When I got home I was looking at the MAC pot and thinking, geeze these look almost the same... Maybe I'll take it back? Well, luckily I found this post! Thank you!!! Now I can return it and splurge on a different MAC paint pot ��

    ReplyDelete